Posted by: Dwayne | 2011-09-21

100 day cough

I had the flu a week ago(feel great), but i still have a irritating cough. Can I start mountain biking again? The cough has changed from a wet to a dry cough.

Hi Dwayne

At a low level, yes. But you have to really monitor it because as soon as that symptom spreads to the body, it's a real risk. They often talk about the "neck-check", where any symptoms above the neck are OK and you can train at a low level, whereas if they're below the neck (chest pain, sore muscles, fever) mean stop, rest, get well first.

So a cough is often just a "remnant" of the infection, irritating but not necessarily dangerous and so I'd say you could probably train. However, having said this, always be safe rather than sorry, and remember that a day now might cost 2 later, so I guess ask yourself whether one more rest day will affect you too much, or whether you're better off starting when you're 100%, rather than 90%!