Question
Posted by: Mom | 2010/02/17

10 year old - Visiting porn site on the web

I am so frustrated and stressed out with my 10 year old daughter, I just found out from her cell phone last night, that she has been checking the website on porn sites, I am so worried - i.e. Sex website (different sites), mag33.com, face book and twitter. When I check some is dating and flirting sites, I am not sure what is really going on and how to approach her. I can' t even focus at work today. She is a very well behaved child and always with me, plays like any child of her age, but never thought of this. I want to approach it when I get home tonight but how I am not sure. Please help.

Without making a huge fuss or apppearing terribly distressed, sit down and discuss this calmly with her. Say what you found and that this wories you, and would she please talk to you about it.
personally, I don't believe ANY child EVER needs a cell-phone with the capability of reaching such sites, and merely for safety reasons needs nothing more than a phone which can make and receive basic phone-calls. Similarly, though computers with web access can be of use in homework, etc, I think it is abusive for parents to provide such facilities to their children without both installing NetNanny type protective software, AND closely supervising what they are doing with the access. Its best for the child to have web access in a shared, public, famil room, rather than in their own bedroom.
That said, I suspect many kids wil explore, given the opportunity, especially when other kids talk about it and make it sound cool.

1