Question
Posted by: riekie | 2010/02/09

10 year old daughters breast lump

Hi Dr Bets, she is only 10 years old. Can little girls get breast cancer? It feels to me like the lump is growing bigger. The second lot of antobiotics did absolutely nothing! It feels to me it is just a waste of time. I got a specialist appointment for the 3 March only. How do i explain a fine needle aspiration to her. Do they give her local anaestetic or what. On the radiologists report he aslo said that there is oedema? How does that fit into a solid mass? Thank you for getting back to me.

Hallo Riekie
If she is 10 years old it could be part of normal breast development (breast buds) and highly unlikely to be cancer. Under no circumstances should the lump be cut out unless 100% proven to be cancer, which I am almost sure it is not. Cutting out a lump in a little girls breast has the same effect as a mastectomy in an adult and can cause permanent disfigurement. If needed, get more than one opinion. See http://life.familyeducation.com/puberty/growth-and-development/40471.html

4
Posted by: J | 2010/02/11

Wow, this must be a very scary time for you and your daughter. The best thing you can do for her is be calm. You can tell her yo' re also worried and that it is scary to have something like this. But portraying to her that you are in control of the situation is key. Try to focus on how we' re going to fix this. Get organised, focus on learning what you can and talking to doctors etc. It won' t help your daughter if you are falling apart. It says to her,"  man, if my strong mom is even falling apart over this it must be really bad!"  she needs your concern and love and strength. you don' t need to lie and say you' re not worried, but its how you handle your worry that key. all the best and keep us all posted..

Reply to J
Posted by: CD again | 2010/02/10

Hi Riekie
They will probably give her some anaesthetic or a sedative before the procedure. Don' t try to explain what they will do, leave that to the doctor as it may just cause more anxiety if you try to explain and she senses your anxiety. With a fine needle biopsy they really use a very fine needle and just pull up a little fluid from the area. With a biopsy they have a slighter thicker needle that " cuts"  a thin sliver of tissue from the lump. Both procedures takes a few minutes only, and even if only local anaesthetic is used, is not very painful at all. Keep me posted on developments.

Reply to CD again
Posted by: Riekie | 2010/02/10

The Specialist called me today and has asked me to bring her in on Saturday morning for another scan and then possible biopsy. I am totally stressed out. She is my whole life. How does parents cope with such stress, without getting her all worked up?

Reply to Riekie
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/02/10

Hallo Riekie

Reply to cyberdoc