Question
Posted by: Lily | 2012/09/25

10 year old addicted to porn

My 10 year old was abused (inappropriately touched) by a man from the age of about 8 until this year when we found out about it and laid charges against that ********. For the last year or so however she has been accessing pornographic materials on the internet. We have taken her to see a family psychologist and child psychiatrist but due to lack of funds on our medical aid we are not able to seek professional help from these doctors. She told both of these medical professionals that she was never abused.

I am at my wits end and I don''t know which way to turn anymore. We''ve spoken to her, we''ve told her its bad for her, she''s even gotten hidings, she keeps promising she won''t do it again but then when we''re not looking she''ll take our phones and just go on the internet again. We''ve even sat her down and told her she must ask if she''s curious about her body but she''s too shy to do that.

Is there any in or out-patient facility in Cape Town that we could get in touch with that specializes in this kind of situation? She is also suffering from ADHD and takes ritalin.

Please help me.

I tend to consider allowing ANY child unrestricted and oncontrolled access to the internet to be a form of child abuse itself. There are any number of software programs you can get, mostly free, with which you can restrict what she has access to, and check what she has been visiting. Get them and use them. Children should probably not have unrestricted internet access in the privacy of their own rooms, and parents should check what sites are being visited, really regularly.
Presmably she has been made to feel guilty about being abused, and hence denies that it happens - this could be a problem when the case gets to court.
Hidings are useless and actualyl further abuse. You can stop her acess to sexual material rather easily. Your phones should not be lying around accessible to her, if that is how she accesses porn. And put a pasword on the phones and the computer.
FAMSA is probably the best bet to help find counselling for the child and yourselves, at the best available price. Maybe child welfare can advise.

8
Posted by: Kat | 2012/11/04

Don''t judge! I have same prob. She gets on other kids'' phones too. So now what, huh???

Reply to Kat
Posted by: Just Me | 2012/09/27

Gosh, I''m shocked. How would a 10 year old even know what to type on in order to get to those sort of sites...?????? Just check''n???

Reply to Just Me
Posted by: Leila | 2012/09/26

Sorry if I seemed to be judging there. No, that is not my intention. I wish you good luck... I feel your difficulty.

Reply to Leila
Posted by: Lily | 2012/09/26

None of you know my situation so please do not reply / judge if you do not have the answers to the question I asked.

I appreciate the referral and will make contact with FAMSA.

Reply to Lily
Posted by: Leila | 2012/09/26

How was it that this abuse was unnoticed as it happened quite a while back? Dont your daughter have a close relationship with you? Yes I agree, put a total stop to her internet usage and instead provide other alternatives.

Reply to Leila
Posted by: Purple | 2012/09/26

I agree, prevent access to the phone and computer.

Also, FAMSA may be able to assist with counselling for your whole family. They are an NGO and they charge a small fee based on your income.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Chris758 | 2012/09/26

This is not good!! Put your phones where she cannot get to it!!!! It is that easy to prevent her from using your phones. If you have access to the internet via a computer put a password on it. You can even put a password on your phones!!

Reply to Chris758