Question
Posted by: Claire | 2009-08-18

10 MONTH OLD - EXHAUSTED

My baby is 10 months old. He has never slept well but for the last few weeks it has been really bad. My husband and I are exhausted. I feel irritated and tearful today. He doesnt even have to sleep through the night, if he would even wake up 2 or 3 times a night we' d be happy because at the moment he wakes up so often. Or he will lay half asleep and whine continuously.

We have tried everthing. Bedtime / winding down routines with a bath etc, feeding him more of less, getting him to bed earliler or later, letting him sleep in our bed or his cot. We let him cry last night for the first time (after we tried everthing, gave him teejel, trying to give him milk / water etc ) and he cried for literally an hour before he fell asleep but then woke up again an hour or so later.

There just always seems to be something bugging him. He now has seperation anxiety and has started throwing tantrums. He saw his pediatrician last week. He has been sick with tonsillites but as soon as that cleared up teething started again (or so it seems). Other than that he is in good health.

We dont know any more and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you!!!

Expert ImageSleep Expert

There are various thechniques you can use, but why not try this one:
When he starts crying, go to him to make sure there is nothing wrong. Pick him up to calm him down - if he is hysterical he will not fall asleep. Once the crying has abated to a sniffle (but before he is asleep), put him down and leave the room.

He will probably start crying. Give him 3 minutes, then pick him up, get him back to a sniff, and then down again, but this time for 6 minutes, and so on, adding 3 minutes each time, until he falls asleep.

If he wakes later, start again at 3 minutes.

Also, if there is not a night light on in his room, it may be an idea to put one in, so that when he wakes it is not completely dark.

This usually takes 2 or 3 nights, and he may lose the training if he becomes sick for whatever reason.

Good luck.

1
Posted by: Anneke Lottering | 2009-09-01

Dear Claire, I would just like to know if you had tried out the thechniques suggested by the expert? Cause I have the same problem with my 10 month old daughter, it started on Sunday and is still going on......... i tried everything from medicine to ignorance. I would like to know what were your findings.

Reply to Anneke Lottering