Question
Posted by: S-p | 2008/08/18

10 month old baby

I would just like to ask a few questions regarding my babies diet. She is almost 10 months old! She weighs about 9kg - but is not particularly keen on food in general.

She has been on plain rice cereal from when she started solids, I have tried other flavours / brands, but she still prefers this - is that okay? Or should I try some oats / other cereals?

I try to give her what we eat sometimes - I do add a little salt while cooking - but not too much - is it okay for her to have a bit of salt &  other flavourings? She seems to much prefer food that has flavour.

Lastly - she loves toast - with a variety of toppings! Is fish paste safe for a baby?

Do you have any other suggestions for safe finger foods? She only has 2 teeth so far, so I am worried about choking hazards!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Dear S-p
9 kg is a normal weight for a one-year-old so your lassie is certainly not underweight for her age. If she is not interested in solids, it could be that she is receiving too much milk or formula and that this suppresses her appetite. It is also important to offer a baby the same food over and over again, 1 teaspoon at a time, until they accept it. This may seem boring, but if you persevere she will eventually accept a new food. So start with one new cereal and offer it repeatedly - don't get discouraged. Infants and children should not be given salt on their food because their kidneys are not able to handle high salt levels. So don't add any additional salt to her food when you serve it to her. I would personally also not give such a small child fish paste because of its high salt content. Rather give her the toast with a bit or butter or mono- or polyunsaturated margarine, or a scraping of jam. Safe finger foods for small children include boudoir biscuits, plain rusks, small pieces of peeled apple, banana, rice cakes, etc. You will have to watch her when she eat finger foods to prevent choking, but as she get more adept at nibbling small pieces of the food and swallowing them, this hazard diminishes. For more information about what and how much infants should eat, click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition'.