Question
Posted by: Mrs J Nicholson | 2010/01/12

1 year old

I have a daugher of 1. What kind of foods can she eat from 1 year of age. She gets her veggies everyday (butternut, potatoes, carrots, baby marrow and sometimes chicken). I am scared to give her something else because i don' t know if she can eat it. She still gets her milk in the mornings, afternoon and evenings, she' s on first growth milk. Can you please help me? And from when can she eat eggs? Please help!! Regards
Mrs Nicholson

Dear Mrs Nicholson
By the age of 1 year most small children are able to eat most foods and drink cow's milk (diluted if necessary). Just offer her new foods one at a time in very small portions (1 teaspoon at a time) and provide the foods in a form that is easy to chew (minced meat, custard, yoghurt, mashed fruit). She should also be able to chew on rusks and a piece of fruit like an apple slice (watch her to make sure that she does not choke). As she gets used to these foods and starts to drink cow's milk (from a cup, not a bottle), you can gradually reduce the amount of infant milk she drinks. Young children can be given cow’s milk after the age of 1 year and only require 500 ml of milk a day if they are eating a varied diet of other foods. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on "DietDoc's articles' and search for the 2 articles I have written on: "WEANING FOODS INFLUENCE THE REST OF YOUR CHILD’S LIFE " and "WHAT WEANING FOODS TO GIVE BABY" for additional information on weaning and introducing young children to eating a variety of solid foods. Article 65 is also useful. You can introduce eggs at this age, giving her 1 teaspoon of a soft boiled egg a day to see if she is not allergic. If she is not allergic then she can have soft boiled egg regularly.

1

Dear Mrs Nicholson