The new American National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Obesity Guidelines say that whether or not you're trying to lose weight, you can eat healthily when dining out, if you know how.
So, if you're treating yourself to a meal out, here are some tips to help make it a dining experience that is both tasty and good for you.
When dining out, ask your waiter if the restaurant will:
- Serve margarine rather than butter with the meal?
- Serve fat free (skim) milk rather than whole milk or cream?
- Trim visible fat from poultry or meat?
- Leave all butter, gravy or sauces off a dish?
- Serve salad dressing on the side?
- Accommodate special requests?
- Use less cooking oil when cooking?
Selection of foods
When you order, try to select foods that are:
- Garden fresh
- Lightly sauteed or stir-fried
Source: American National Institutes of Health