1. How far does most of the world’s population have to walk to collect water?
Correct answer: Most of the world's population must walk at least 3 hours to collect water.
2. How many Africans do not have access to safe drinking water?
Correct answer: More than 200 million people in Africa do not have access to safe drinking water.
3. How many people worldwide live in regions with severe water shortages?
Correct answer: At least 400 million people worldwide live in regions with severe water shortages.
Analysts believe this is the largest potential threat to peace and security this century.
884 million people lack access to safe water supplies; i.e. approximately one in eight people.
4. How many people die each year from water-related diseases?
Correct answer: 3.575 million people die each year from water-related diseases.
5. What is the percentage of untreated sewage are discharged in developing countries?
Correct answer: More than 80% of sewage in developing countries are discharged untreated, polluting rivers, lakes and coastal areas.
6. By which year did the UN estimate that 48 nations would face freshwater scarcity?
Correct answer: The UN estimates that by 2025, 48 nations, with combined population of 2.8 billion, will face freshwater “stress” or “scarcity”.
7. How many people in impoverished slums and shantytowns have no access to sanitation facilities every year?
Correct answer: Of the 60 million people added to the world’s towns and cities every year, most occupy impoverished slums and shantytowns with no sanitation facilities.
8. Which water –related disease kills more children than AIDS, malaria and measles combined?
Correct answer: Diarrhoearemains the second leading cause of death among children under five, globally. Nearly one in five child deaths – about 1.5 million each year – are due to diarrhea, killing more young children than AIDS, malaria and measles combined.
9. How often does a child die from a water-related disease?
Correct answer: Every 20 seconds a child dies from a water-related disease.
10. What causes majority of the illness in the world?
Correct answer: The majority of the illnesses in the world are caused by faecal matter.